Zoning Board of Adjustment
- 8:00 pm
- First Monday of each month
- Municipal Building
574 Valley St.
Maplewood, NJ 07040
ADELE C. LEWIS, Administrator
(973) 762-8120 ex 3201
Fax (973) 762-2894
| Larry Seltzer - Chair
|| Stephen Sigmund
| Mario Springer - Vice Chair
|| Clyde Otis- Alternate #1
| Thora Murray-Lee
|| Greg Drechsler- Alternate #2
| Richard Lunde
| Adele Lewis - Board Secretary
| Jenifer Steig Strugger
| Robert Bratt, P.P., P.E. - Board Consultant
| Robert Kashtan
| Michael Edelson, Esq. - Board Counsel
A board of Adjustment is established pursuant to N.J.S.A. 40:55 D-69 et seq.
There are 5 basic powers of the Board of Adjustments
- Appeals - Hear and decide appeals of decisions of the administrative officer enforcing the zoning ordinance.
- Interpretations - Hear and decide requests for interpretations of the zoning map or ordinance.
- C Variances (bulk variances) - Hear and decide bulk or C variances. THE ONLY TIME THE BOA REVIEWS A "C" VARIANCE IS IF IT IS SEPARATE FROM A SITE PLAN, SUBDIVISION OR CONDITIONAL USE (I.E., RESIDENTIAL PERMIT THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE A SUBDIVISION OR SITE PLAN)
- D Variances (use variances) - Hear and decide use or D variances. Examples of D variances:
- Use of principle structure
- Expansion of non-conforming use
- Deviation from a specification of standard of a conditional use
- Increase in permitted floor area ratio
- Increase in permitted density
- Height > 10 feet or 10% of the maximum height permitted
5. Issue Permits - The BoA may direct issuance of a permit for:
- A building or structure in the bed of a mapped street or public drainage way, flood control basin or public area.
- A building or structure not related to a street.
Any interested party may appeal any final decision of the Board of Adjustment or the Planning Board on any class of application for development to any court of competent jurisdiction according to law.