NOTICE: Due to the Memorial Day holiday, Monday's recycling collection will be postponed until Tuesday, May 30th. Kindly place your recyclable items curbside on Monday evening, so they can be collected on Tuesday morning.
Remember, recyclables should be placed in a container with a lid, or clear recycling bags, and cardboard boxes should be tied or taped together. This will ensure all recyclables are collected; together, let’s keep Maplewood clean.
Have a happy, healthy, and safe Memorial Day!
Curbside recycling will be collected EVERY Monday for the entire town.
If any of the following Holidays fall on a Monday: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, collections will be on the Tuesday after the Holiday. For any other Holiday (not listed) that falls on Monday, collections will remain on Monday. In order to ensure recyclable items are collected, please be sure to place them curbside the evening before the scheduled collection.
All residential sources shall be allowed to place designated recyclable materials (other than used motor oil, lead acid batteries, household batteries, electronic waste, tires and textiles) at curbside in a manner and according to a schedule promulgated and published by the Township. Recyclables should be put in reusable containers, or clear plastic recycling bags.
In order to prevent recyclables from blowing away during high velocity wind conditions, containers should be covered with a lid, and cardboard boxes should be tied or taped together. This will ensure all recyclables are collected, while simultaneously keeping the streets of Maplewood free of litter.
Designated recyclable materials may be placed at curbside no earlier than 5:00 p.m. on the day preceding collection and no later than 6:30 a.m. on the day of collection. Recycling receptacles must be removed from curbside on the day of collection no later than 7:00 p.m.
ACCEPTABLE ITEMS FOR CURBSIDE SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING
MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED
- PAPER AND CARDBOARD- FIBER MUST BE DRY & FREE OF FOOD DEBRIS/CONTAMINATION
- All Cardboard or Regular Paper without wax liners
- Brown Paper Shopping Bags
- Cardboard Boxes- excess amounts can be flattened and tied alongside garbage can
- Cartons- including empty juice and milk cartons
- Chipboard; including cereal boxes, pizza boxes, shoe boxes
- Junk Mail, Phone Books, Hard Cover Books and Paperback books
- Magazines and Catalogs
- Office Paper; including copier paper and printer paper
- Shredded paper must be in a clear bag
- GLASS- ALL GLASS MUST BE EMPTY
- Food and Beverage containers- must be empty (Colors brown, clear and green)
- METALS- ALL CANS MUST BE EMPTY
- Aluminum Foil and Food Containers Free of Food/liquids
- Ferrous metal cans
- Food & Beverage Containers
- Pots and Pans
- Soda Cans
- PLASTICS- ALL PLASTICS MUST BE EMPTY
- Empty Prescription Bottles
- Plastic Film Stretch clear and colors accepted
- Plastic Cups/Plates free of Food Debris
- Plastics #1-#7 Accepted
- Plastic Trays
- Styrofoam Food Containers (well rinsed)
- Plastic Bags
- Rigid Plastics: including milk and soda crates, plastic flower pots, plastic drums, plastic coolers, plastic buckets, laundry baskets, empty garbage and recycling bins
- Coat Hangers
- Construction Debris of Any Kind
- Electronics of any Kind
- Food Waste
- Garden Hoses
- Hazardous Waste
- Light Bulbs
- Medical Waste- none is accepted
- Microwave Trays
- Mirrors and windows
- Motor Oil- or any other fluids, no empty containers can be accepted
- Paints or any chemicals
- Propane Containers
- Porcelain of any kind
- Styrofoam Peanuts
- Tissue and Papers Towels with used food waste cannot be accepted.
- VHS cassettes or any type of electronics
- Wire of any kind- no coat hangers
- Used Utensils and Paper Plates
Printable List of Recyclable Items
Private Entity Recycling
All commercial or institutional sources shall enter into agreements or otherwise arrange for the disposal of designated recyclable materials by means of private disposal. In no event shall any commercial or institutional source leave recyclable materials at the curb, nor shall such recyclable materials be disposed of as part of the solid waste pickup.